Saturday 3 June 2023

What's Next?

  A few thoughts from this past couple of months, it has been what can only be described as a year of hell, I think I have spent less than half the year actually in work, not for lack of a job but some devastating health issues, earlier this year, I popped a disc in my back, 6 weeks later I was finally able to return to work albeit with limited mobility, I was suffering from a condition known as drop foot in my right leg, it was severely affecting my ability to function, initial thoughts concluded that the sciatic nerve was being compromised thus the mobility issue, a plan was made to rehabilitate the back and hopefully return the leg back to full use, suffice to say, I never got that far. In late July 2022 I had my first severe seizure, I have had what was diagnosed as cramping issues in my right leg in the 18 months prior to this, symptoms were restricted to my right foot, a side affect of lifestyle issues. This new seizure affected the whole right hand side of my body, some how I went into work the next day, I was out of it and barely able to function, my boss took me to hospital and an initial diagnosis of Epilepsy was mentioned and appointments booked with the local Neurology department, once again, I never made it that far, a few weeks later I had another seizure, this time it would not stop, an ambulance was called and I was rushed into A&E, scans were done and in the early hours the doctor sat down with us and told me that I had a brain tumour.

Somehow I was okay with this "okay, what's next" was my response to the news, my notes and scans were compiled by the doctor and forwarded to the Neuro Surgeons at Southmead Hospital in Bristol who were having their weekly meeting that morning to discuss new cases. A couple of days later I received a call and a pre surgery appointment was made, I passed muster, two post Covid blood clots in my lungs were considered workable, I was diagnosed with a Parasigial Meningioma tumour, it is located directly over the right leg and partially over the right hand control areas of my brain, further scans also showed the tumour was in the arterial chanel between the two hemispheres on my brain, not a good place it seems.

Within a week I was back in hospital and 10 hours later a large part of my tumour was removed, to try and get it all out could have ended in paralysis or death so they did the best they could. As I write this I am recovering, it has been 6 weeks since my surgery and I have my first three month scan and review booked for mid November, I have motor function returning to my foot and leg, already walking is much easier than pre surgery, hopefully with a lot of work I will return to full function. I am desperate to get back into work, sadly I am aware right now it would be too quick, as I am still not as strong as I would like to be.






The last image is pretty much where I am at the moment, some motor control is returning to my leg and foot, and hand has recovered fully, I am hoping to start walking more and more, it has proven difficult as my normally tight leg muscles are stupidly tight at the moment, I may need to speak to the physio as the stretches don't seem to be making an impact, as for getting back onto a bicycle, fingers crossed I will be back in the saddle in a few days, sadly my cycling shoes are in work and I need to pick them up when I speak to them this Friday during which I am hoping a path can be made to get me back into work with only time off needed for routine appointments, in all honesty I would like to work just four days a week, the past few months has taught me that nothing is worth my time more than me and family, given how much I really like my job this is something significant. Next battles for me, staying consistent with movement, working, my first scan and check in with the surgical team in November, fighting the seizures and trying to prevent them and slowing the further onset of depression all the time hoping the remaining tumour does not take the diet too personally and try to kill me.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Craniversary

This is going to be an odd post, there has been so much happening since my last post, I feel I need to flush my brain so to speak and put do...